Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Welcome to the jungle

Welcome to the jungle we got fun and games. So let me start with a quick introduction. Most of my adult life I have been described as a unique individual. In a way I know what people mean, but in another way, I have no idea what they mean. Aren't we all unique in some way? I know my taste in music can be a bit ecletic at times. But does that make me unique? Certainly not! So let me try to give you some baisics, and maybe you can decide for your selve. Isn't that a novel idea?

I am in my mid to late thirties. I am a Deadhead having gone to over 150 Grateful Dead shows from 1987 to 1995 when Jerry died. I have also continued to go to shows ever since, often planning at least on vacation a year to follow some band or another around this great country of ours. At this point I should probably mention that I am clean and sober, and have been since July 13, 1990. I'm sure I'll go into more details about this at a later time.

I met my wife in an AA club a month after getting sober, for me it was love at first sight. We have been married for over 14 years. At the rehearsal dinner the night before our wedding, my beautiful bride took me a side. You see I had been pretty sick for awhile, but all the doctors kept saying it was either due to my drug history or it was just plain stress. But after I went from 195 lbs (with very little fat) to 135 lbs in a matter of months I finally found a doctor that was willing to try to figure out what was going on with my body. The problem was, I was working in Texas but still officially living in the suburbs of DC. I first saw this new doctor two weeks before the wedding. He knew that he would have to figure out why I was so sick before the wedding, since we were moving to Texas after the honeymoon. Those two weeks were interesting, lots of medical tests, and lots of calls to the doctor with him saying things like, "Well you don't have leukemia." Now you have to remember in 1993 not everyone had a cell phone. So like I was saying, my lovely bride took me a side at the rehearsal dinner and told me that seh had talked to the doctor that afternoon. It was then that she told me that I had a chronic incurable disease called Crohn's Disease.

I'm sure as the blog goes on, I will go into more details about my past since it all adds up to who I am today. But for now, here are just a couple more quick facts. I have three daughters ages 12, 9 and 3. The two oldest two are each named after Grateful Dead songs. I love the outdoors, especially cycling, hiking, fly-fishing and paddling. Oh yeah, and how could I forget? I have a beautiful black lab puppy. He'll be a year old on Saint Patty's day, but believe me, he is still very much a puppy.

I think that about wraps it up for the introduction. Believe me I'll cover more of my history has the blog goes on, including being adopted on to an Indian Pueblo, running drugs with some pretty sketchy characters, and a bunch more craziness from my travels around this glorious country of ours.

Peace!

No comments: