Thursday, February 28, 2008

Why Blog? Why Now?

I feel compelled to answer this simple question that so many have asked. I think for different people there are different reasons. For some the main reason for the blog is to make money. Others have something specific they want to market. Still others just want an easy way to stay in touch with friends and family. Heck, I have even heard of people using blogs in an attempt to impress a member of the opposite sex. All of these are valid reasons indeed.

But for me the answer is a little different.

I've been hearing the term thrown around for years, but had no true understanding of what a blog truly was. Not only that, I barely had time to read a blog much less try to write and publish one. I was a District Manager for bicycle retailer. My district consisted of stores in MD, DE, PA, OH and IL. Between the long hours, the travel, and maintaining my relationships with my wife and three daughters, not to mention my need to get out and enjoy the great outdoors, let's just say my time was booked!

Then on January 10, 2007 my boss called me as I was traveling back home from Delaware. It was after 5:00 pm when he called, so I knew something was up. When he said he was going to be in town the next day and wanted to meet me first thing in the morning I knew my tenure working for the nations largest bicycle retailer was over. To this day I still don't completely understand the decision. Out of 9 District Managers, only three had an increase in sales for the year. Of those three, I had the largest increase in the stores that were open for more than a year, and I also opened 8 new stores for the company. I was a loyal company man that bled the company colors. But just like that it was over! I wasn't the only one in the company that was laid off, just the only member of the retail division. It didn't make sense.

A small part of me believes that my Crohn's Disease had something to do with the lay off. But my former boss, although a complete donkey, is too smart to ever admit that. Still the fact remains that I was hospitalized last May for a week and spent another two weeks on medical leave after that. I was on a business trip when it happened, so the company incurred extra expenses, and my relationships with the powers that be were never the same. However, instead of dwelling on the negative, I did what I always do and put a positive spin on the whole thing. I would no longer have to start every single day listening to the Yosemite Sam of retail rant and rave for an hour.

In less than a week I was feeling pretty good about everything. Although I will admit that all the calls from shocked former co-workers and employees got to be a bit tiring - they had good intentions but I hate the whole sympathy mentality. Since I was getting a severance package, I decided that I would not rush into anything. My days consisted of applying for a few jobs, going on some interviews, physical therapy for my back, watching movies , listening to music, but mostly playing with my black lab .

Rocky is very much a puppy (his real name is Shamrock because he was born 3/17/07), and he loves to play! One day we went for a 5 mile hike while 3 inches of snow fell from the sky. It was beautiful. It was also the one hike we did near water that Rocky didn't insist on going into the water. We went from hardly ever spending any quality time together outside, to a different outdoor adventure every day. He would run along side of me as I rode my mountain bike, we would play frisbee in the field across the street, and we would hike and hike and hike.

So by now, you are most likely reading this and going; what the hell does this have to do with writing a blog? The simple answer to that question is absolutely nothing. Say it again. Sorry, sometimes random song quotes pop into my thoughts. Anyway, I believe in giving some pertinent background into every story. It helps put everything in context don't you think?

So last Friday, six weeks after I was laid off, I was getting frustrated with the agonizingly long interview process I was going through with a couple of retailers. The weather outside was not pleasant, so I decided to go to the basement and do some laps with Rocky. It's like a game of tag except neither of us ever really knows who is "it." We run around the couch as fast as we can, when he passes me, I turn around and run the opposite way or sometimes he'll turn around and I end up chasing him. Anyway we were running at a pretty good clip and going around a corner when all of a sudden Rocky decide to go for the pass. He took my legs right out from under me and sent me flying into the wall. Instantly I knew something wasn't right.

However, with my medical history, I couldn't initially determine how bad it was. Due to the medication's for Crohn's disease I developed osteoporosis. Not only that, but I have had four reconstructive surgeries on my left knee due to ligament and cartilage tears. As I laid on the ground, I realized the pain was concentrated around my foot.

Since it was Friday evening, and I didn't want to go to the hospital, I told my very worried daughters that if my foot still hurt on Monday I would go to the Doctors. The entire weekend all three of my daughters would give my wife updates on the swelling and colors of my foot. It was obvious that my pinkie toe took the brunt of the impact, but the whole foot was swollen and discolored. As far as Rocky, he was just confused as to why he kept get yelled at every time he stepped on my foot.

So to cut to the chase, yes I have a broken foot, yes I'm still looking for a job, and no I can no longer bide my time playing outside with my black lab. So now for the simple answer to the why blog question; I was bored.

But really it's more than that. You see I have lived a pretty full life. I love telling stories about that life, and for years people have been telling me I should write a book. I figure this format suits me better than a book. First of all for many reasons, I can not reveal actual names of people involved in many of the stories. Secondly, this way I can just write what ever tickles my fancy when ever I feel like it. If I see something interesting on the web, I can link to it right away. If I see a product or a service that I think warrants a look by people reading my stories, I can link to that too. Finally, and probably most importantly, the reason I have chosen to blog is I just want to share my experience, strength and hope with as many people as possible.

No comments: